Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Technology and Learning




This week, we entered our class as usual and as usual we are given a task. For this particular task, we have to come out, design or search for the variety types of teaching aids that can be used in teaching the young children by using TECHNOLOGY. In order words, we have to find the teaching aids from internet. To do this, we need an ample of time to be ready in front of the laptop for a many many many “FEW” of hours in LOOKING for the suitable teaching materials according to the topic that we are going to teach the children for the lesson.

First of all, we were asked to find our partner which is of the opposite sex (as Pn. Foziah did not believe in boys’ production). Therefore, we were grouped by one boy and one girl. (Noted: There is only two persons in one group). Pn Foziah then assigned us the topics that we need to prepare for the teaching aids. Each group is assigned with three topics and my group has been assigned for the year 4, 5 and 6 which are on the topic of “Moving around”, “Glorious Food” and finally “Splashes of colour”. When I first look at the topic, that’s a big challenge for me and my partner, many thoughts came across our mind. "MOVING AROUND"? Is it about traveling to places or talking about transportation that move around? Alright, move to the second topic, "GLORIOUS FOOD"? From what we comprehended, glorious food means glory but wouldn’t it be weird if we apply on food? Haha…. Sounds funny right? Last but not least, the greatest challenge for both of us, "SPLASHES OF COLOUR"… sounds really fantastic. Teaching colour to kindergarten children is a piece of cake BUT NOT to the year 6 children. They are already well-equipped with the knowledge of colours. How can we make the lesson more interesting and effective when we teach the year 6 children on the topic of colour? That is a really GOOD question to be pondered on.



Coming out with these teaching aids are indeed a handful of work. It is not as easy as we imagine. We have to be really resourceful (as what this course is named) in searching for the suitable materials to be used for the particular topic. For this, we have to explore the world of internet by going in different websites to look for the materials such as flash games, flash cards, power point presentation, songs, videos etc. I shall say these are all quite challenging and tedious task to be done as we have to submit on this coming Thursday. However, what makes my life more miserable is that I lost all my work and internet teaching materials that have been collected out of a sudden when I was almost finishing my final work. All the documents just disappeared like that in front of me. I was really clueless and helpless. However, for this part, I must say I was quite thankful as my partner has helped a lot by doing more work in completing the task. Thanks a lot to him for being always supportive and tolerant with me in everything and whatever I did.


I guess that’s all for this week. See you.

No comments:

Post a Comment